The National Library (External website that opens in a new window), Kolkata was established in 1948 with the passing of the imperial Library (Change of Name) Act, 1948. The basis functions of the Library, which enjoys the status of an institution of national importance, are:
- Acquisition and conservation of all significant production of printed material (to the exclusion only of ephemera) as well as of manuscripts of national importance
- Collection of printed material concerning the country, no matter where this is published
- Rendering of bibliographical and documentary services of current and retrospective material, both general and specialised. (This implies the responsibility to produce current national bibliographies and retrospective bibliographies on various aspects of the country)
- Acting as referral centre, purveying full and accurate knowledge of all sources of bibliographical information and participation in international bibliographical activities and
- Acting as a centre for international book exchange and internal loan.
Source: National Portal Content Management Team, Reviewed on: 10-03-2011