Artificial Recharge of Ground Water Advisory Council
Artificial Recharge of Ground Water Advisory Council has been constituted by the Government in the year, 2006 under the Chairmanship of Hon'ble Minister of Water Resources. Main objective of the Advisory Council is to popularise the concept of artificial recharge of ground water among various stakeholders. The Advisory Council comprises of Members from the concerned Central Ministries/Departments, representatives of State Governments, Public Undertakings, financial institutions, representative of industries and renowned subject experts/farmers/NGOs. 1st meeting of Advisory Council was held in July 2006 and the second in September 2007.
As per the recommendation of the Council, various action have been initiated which include:-
- Organization of National Ground Water Congress.
- Declaration of year 2007 as the 'Water Year'.
- Implementation of 5,000 Farmers Participatory Action Research Programme (FPARP) in 25 States/UTs of the Country.
- Institution of Ground Water Augmentation Awards & National Water Award to encourage the Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)/Gram Panchayats/Urban Local Bodies/Institutions/Corporate Sector and Individuals.
- Report on "more crop and income per drop of water" was prepared and follow up action on recommendation initiated.
- Preparation of a policy on use of water for industries is under finalization in MoWR.
Source: National Portal Content Management Team, Reviewed on: 17-02-2011